Monday, February 18, 2019

Cocktail anyone? Low Carb Adult Beverage

Its winter in Florida but this weekend was just awesome. We were hitting the low 80's, the sun was shining and, wait for it.... Boom, NASCAR opening day at Daytona. I'm not a big NASCAR fan but I do live in the South and therefore, I act like I know something about it because it would just be wrong if I didn't. Plus, a long race, with multiple cautions, gives me a reason to enjoy my go-to, warm weather, low-carb, adult beverage(s). Not that I need a reason.

Now, I used to drink this with Tonic Water, but one 12 oz. can has more than an entire day's worth of carbs! I tried diet tonic water. Gag. I hate that aftertaste and it just ruined the vodka. You can't waste good booze! Then I found Lemon Seltzer water. Not as tart and tangy as Tonic water but a squirt or two of lemon juice perks it right up and I like the fizz.

All you need is a tall glass full of ice, 1 1/2 oz. of strawberry and lemon-flavored vodka, a  squirt of lemon juice (a slice of fresh lemon makes it pretty) and top it off with lemon flavored seltzer water. Most distilled spirits have zero carbs but be careful when choosing a flavored one. Many of them have added sugars. I prefer the taste of Svedka brand and according to their website, a 1 1/2 ounce serving has 97 calories and zero carbs!

A word of caution. Despite the zero carbs, be mindful of your alcohol intake. Besides health reasons, alcohol can slow weight loss.



If your local liquor store doesn't carry this brand, you an find it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

True story. When I was a kid, we used to go to my grandmother's house after church every Sunday for dinner. My grandmother was a great c...